J Cancer 2021; 12(21):6531-6542. doi:10.7150/jca.61381
Circular RNA hsa_circ_0001306 Functions as a Competing Endogenous RNA to Regulate FBXW7 Expression by Sponging miR-527 in Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1. Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 215000, JiangSu Province, China.
2. Department of Biochemistry, College of Life Sciences, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi'an, China.
3. College of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China.
4. Kunshan Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Kunshan, JiangSu Province, China.
5. Department of General Surgery, Changshu NO.1 People's Hospital Affiliated to Soochow University, Changshu, JiangSu Province, China.
#These authors contributed equally to this work.
Wu Y, Fan T, Zhao Y, Hu R, Yan D, Sun D, Gao L, Qin L, Xue X. Circular RNA hsa_circ_0001306 Functions as a Competing Endogenous RNA to Regulate FBXW7 Expression by Sponging miR-527 in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Cancer 2021; 12(21):6531-6542. doi:10.7150/jca.61381. Available from https://www.jcancer.org/v12p6531.htm
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the most common types of cancer worldwide. Circular RNAs (circRNAs) have been reported to regulate many types of cancers, including HCC. The purpose of this study was to investigate the potential roles of hsa_circ_0001306 in HCC. Firsty, the downregulation of hsa_circ_0001306 was identified by high‑throughput RNA sequencing and further verified by qRT-PCR. Secondly, we evaluated the effects of hsa_circ_0001306 on HCC cell proliferation, invasion, cell cycle. Finally, we used an animal model to validate the in vitro experimental results. The expression of hsa_circ_0001306 was closely related to tumor size. Knockdown of hsa_circ_0001306 could downregulate F-box and WD repeat domain containing 7(FBXW7), a target of miR-527, thereby promoting HCC cell proliferation and invasion. Furthermore, hsa_circ_0001306 siRNA increased the multiplication rate of HCC tumors. Mechanistic studies indicated that hsa_circ_0001306 acts as a ceRNA for miR-527, which resulted in the reduction of its endogenous target, FBXW7. Hsa_circ_001306 is significantly downregulated in HCC, and the hsa_circ_0001306/miR-527/FBXW7 axis plays an important role in HCC progression.
Keywords: Hepatocellular carcinoma, Hsa_circ_0001306, Cell proliferation and invasion, miR-527, F-box and WD repeat domain containing 7