J Cancer 2016; 7(10):1226-1232. doi:10.7150/jca.15403
Reduced Expression of FADS1 Predicts Worse Prognosis in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer
1. Department of Thoracic Surgery, Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University, Qingdao 266000, P.R. China;
2. Department of First Chemotherapy, Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, 71 Hedi Road, Nanning 530021, P. R. China;
3. State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510060, P. R. China;
4. State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China; Department of Pathology, Sun Yat-Sen University Cancer Center; Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine, Guangzhou 510060, P.R. China;
5. University of Illinois at Chicago, Biological Science, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA.
* These authors contributed equally to this paper.
Wang D, Lin Y, Gao B, Yan S, Wu H, Li Y, Wu Q, Wei Y. Reduced Expression of FADS1 Predicts Worse Prognosis in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Cancer 2016; 7(10):1226-1232. doi:10.7150/jca.15403. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v07p1226.htm
Objective: Fatty acid desaturase 1 is a member of the fatty acid desaturase, which is related to a number of diseases. However, its role in cancers remains unclear. This study was to explore the clinical importance of FADS1 expression in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Materials and Methods: Immunochemistry was used to evaluate FADS1 expressions in 216 paraffin-embedded specimens. The expression of FADS1 was divided into high and low groups. The clinical and prognostic significance of FADS1 expression was analyzed statistically by Kaplan-Meier estimate and Cox regression model. Results: FADS1 overexpressed in normal bronchial mucosa compared with non-small-cell lung cancer. Reduced FADS1 expression was associated with tumor size (P=0.023) and histological grade (P<0.0001). Patients with lower expression of FADS1 had shorter overall survival and disease free survival (P=0.001 and P=0.002). Multivariate analysis showed FADS1 expression was an independent prognostic factor in NSCLC (P=0.011). Conclusion: Reduced expression of FADS1 suggests pessimistic prognosis for NSCLC patients. Further studies are warranted.
Keywords: non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC), Fatty acid desaturase 1 (FADS1), immunohistochemistry (IHC).