J Cancer 2021; 12(3):918-926. doi:10.7150/jca.50548
Upregulated expression of serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 is associated with lymph node metastasis and poor prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma
1. Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, Fujian Provincial Key Laboratory of Environment Factors and Cancer, School of Public Health, Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou 350122, China.
2. Department of Statistics Office, Zhangzhou Affiliated Hospital of Fujian Medical University, Zhangzhou 363000, China.
3. Department of Radiation Oncology, Anxi County Hospital, Quanzhou 352400, China.
4. Department of Thoracic Surgery, Fujian Cancer Hospital & Fujian Medical University Cancer Hospital, Fuzhou 350014, China.
5. Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Gastrointestinal Cancer, Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou 350122, China.
#These authors equally contributed to this work.
Liu S, Lin Z, Rao W, Zheng J, Xie Q, Lin Y, Lin X, Chen H, Chen Y, Hu Z. Upregulated expression of serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 is associated with lymph node metastasis and poor prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Cancer 2021; 12(3):918-926. doi:10.7150/jca.50548. Available from https://www.jcancer.org/v12p0918.htm
Background: To identify the diagnostic and prognostic values of serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC).
Methods: ESCC serum exosome global circRNA expression was detected using a circRNA microarray. The expression levels of candidate serum exosome circRNAs were detected by quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR). A receiver operating characteristic curve (ROC) was generated to confirm the diagnostic value. Survival data and their differences were observed by the Kaplan-Meier method and log-rank tests. The Cox regression analysis was employed to identify prognostic factors.
Results: The expression levels of serum exosomal has_circ_0026611 in ESCC with lymph node metastasis were significantly higher than those in ESCC without lymph node metastasis (P =0.001). In addition, serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 expression could be used as a significant parameter to discriminate between non-lymph node-metastatic and lymph node-metastatic ESCC with an area under curve (AUC) of 0.724 (95% CI: 0.604~0.865). The multivariate Cox regression analysis indicated that survival was poor in patients with high serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 expression levels compared to those with low serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 levels (for OS, HR [95% CI]: 3.79 [1.27, 11.29], for DFS, HR [95% CI]: 2.77 [1.06, 7.22]).
Conclusion: Serum exosomal hsa_circ_0026611 expression is significantly upregulated in ESCC with lymph node metastasis and is a predictor of ESCC prognosis.
Keywords: esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, exosome, hsa_circ_0026611, lymph node metastasis, prognosis