J Cancer 2020; 11(18):5353-5358. doi:10.7150/jca.45547

Research Paper

Efficacy and Safety of Apatinib Combined with Etoposide in Patients with Recurrent Platinum-resistant Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Retrospective Study

Qi Huang1, Chaonan Chu2, Jie Tang2, Zhijie Dai3✉

1. Department of Pharmacy, Hunan Provincial People's Hospital, The First Affiliated Hospital of Hunan Normal University, Changsha, China.
2. Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Hunan Cancer Hospital, The Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Xiangya School of Medicine, Central South University, Changsha, China.
3. National Clinical Research Center for Metabolic Diseases, Department of Metabolism and Endocrinology, The Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, China.

This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). See http://ivyspring.com/terms for full terms and conditions.
Citation:
Huang Q, Chu C, Tang J, Dai Z. Efficacy and Safety of Apatinib Combined with Etoposide in Patients with Recurrent Platinum-resistant Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Retrospective Study. J Cancer 2020; 11(18):5353-5358. doi:10.7150/jca.45547. Available from https://www.jcancer.org/v11p5353.htm

File import instruction

Abstract

Purpose: Advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) eventually develops into a recurrent platinum-resistant disease. The response to standard treatment and prognosis in patients with EOC is generally unsatisfactory. This study aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of apatinib combined with etoposide in patients with recurrent platinum-resistant EOC.

Materials and Methods: This is a single-center, retrospective, observational study. We have reviewed a total of 33 patients with recurrent platinum-resistant EOC from July 2017 to July 2018, who were regularly treated with apatinib and etoposide until disease progression or unacceptable toxic effects occurred.

Results: At the date of the review finished, 15 of 33 (45.5%) patients remained on the combined treatment of apatinib and etoposide, while the other 18 (54.5%) had discontinued. Although no complete response (CR) occurred, the overall response rate (ORR) and disease control rate (DCR) were 36.4% and 78.8% respectively. The median progression-free survival (PFS) was 5.6 months (95% CI, 4.1~7.1), and the median overall survival (OS) was 10.3 months (95% CI, 9.4~11.2). The most common adverse event was mucositis oral (60.6%), which caused the treatment discontinued in 4 (12.1%) patients. Other relatively common adverse events were hand-foot syndrome (42.4%), hypertension (39.4%), nausea or vomiting (30.3%), neutropenia (24.2%), fatigue (24.2%) and thrombocytopenia (21.2%). Grade 1 and 2 adverse events accounted for 63.6% (21/33).

Conclusion: The efficacy of apatinib combined with etoposide is encouraging in patients with platinum-resistant EOC. Most adverse events of this combined therapy were mild and tolerable. Severe mucositis oral was not rare, which needs more precautions.

Keywords: Apatinib, Etoposide, Epithelial ovarian cancer, Efficacy, Safety