J Cancer 2019; 10(26):6649-6659. doi:10.7150/jca.29213
LncRNA MALAT1 acts as a miR-125a-3p sponge to regulate FOXM1 expression and promote hepatocellular carcinoma progression
1. Medical Animal Lab, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University, Qingdao, 266500, China
2. Department of stomatology, Qingdao Municipal Hospital, Qingdao, 266071, China
3. Department of Urology, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University, Qingdao, 266500, China
4. Clinical Lab, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University, Qingdao, 266003, China
5. Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, 171779, Sweden
Liu S, Qiu J, He G, Liang Y, Wang L, Liu C, Pan H. LncRNA MALAT1 acts as a miR-125a-3p sponge to regulate FOXM1 expression and promote hepatocellular carcinoma progression. J Cancer 2019; 10(26):6649-6659. doi:10.7150/jca.29213. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v10p6649.htm
Background: Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a prominent cancer type, with long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) being known to be relevant to its progression. We therefore investigated how a particular lncRNA known as the metastasis-associated lung adenocarcinoma transcript 1 (MALAT1) was associated with HCC.
Methods: Quantitative reverse transcriptase PCR (qPCR) was used to assess expression of MALAT1, Forkhead Box M1 (FOXM1) and miR-125a-3p in HCC tissue samples. How MALAT1 regulates HCC proliferation and metastasis was assessed through appropriate assays. FOXM1 was identified as a miR-125a-3p target using luciferase assays, and how MALAT1/miR-125a-3p alter FOXM1 expression was explored via qPCR and Western blotting.
Results: HCC tissues exhibited MALAT1 upregulation. miR-125a-3p targeted FOXM1 and could be regulated by MALAT1. MALAT1 knockdown disrupted proliferation and invasion, whereas miR-125a-3p knockdown partially reversed this phenotype.
Conclusions: These results indicate that MALAT1 modulates FOXM1 expression via being a miR-125a-3p sponge, thus promoting HCC progression.
Keywords: HCC, lncRNA MALAT1, miR-125a-3p, FOXM1