J Cancer 2019; 10(12):2687-2693. doi:10.7150/jca.32393
The Diagnostic Value of Serum IGFBP7 in Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma
1. Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, the Cancer Hospital of Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041
2. Department of Oncological Laboratory Research, the Cancer Hospital of Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041
3. The Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology for High Cancer Incidence Coastal Chaoshan Area, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041
4. Guangdong Esophageal Cancer Research Institute, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041
5. Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Shantou Central Hospital, Shantou 515041
6. Department of Radiation Oncology, the Cancer Hospital of Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041
7. Institute of Oncologic Pathology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China.
†These authors contributed equally to this work.
Huang X, Hong C, Peng Y, Yang S, Huang L, Liu C, Chen L, Chu L, Xu L, Xu Y. The Diagnostic Value of Serum IGFBP7 in Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J Cancer 2019; 10(12):2687-2693. doi:10.7150/jca.32393. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v10p2687.htm
Esophageal squamous cell cancer (ESCC) is one of the leading malignant cancer in the world and especially in China with high incidence and mortality. The exploration of novel serum biomarkers is required for early detection of ESCC. We investigated the diagnostic value of serum insulin like growth factor binding protein 7 (IGFBP7) in ESCC, evaluating its potential to improve the diagnosis of ESCC. The serum samples of 106 patients with ESCC and 107 normal controls were tested by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The levels of IGFBP7 in ESCC group were significantly higher than that in normal controls, compared by the Mann-Whitney U test (P<0.0001). Using receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve, the diagnostic value of serum IGFBP7 was demonstrated. Versus normal group, the area under the ROC curve (AUC) of all ESCC was 0.794 (95%CI: 0.735-0.853) and early-stage ESCC was 0.725 (95%CI: 0.633-0.817). With optimized cutoff value of 2.993 ng/mL, IGFBP7 showed certain diagnostic value with specificity of 90.7%, sensitivities of 40.6% and 32.4% in ESCC and early-stage ESCC, respectively. Considering the correlation between clinical data and IGFBP7, no significant association was found (all P>0.05). Thus, we supposed that serum IGFBP7 might be a potential biomarker in the diagnosis of ESCC.
Keywords: esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, IGFBP7, serum, biomarker, diagnosis.