J Cancer 2018; 9(11):1973-1977. doi:10.7150/jca.24782
Aerosol Immunotherapy with or without Cisplatin for metastatic lung cancer non-small cell lung cancer disease: In vivo Study. A more efficient combination
1. 3rd Department of Surgery, “AHEPA” University Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Medical School, Thessaloniki, Greece
2. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, “Theageneio” Cancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
3. Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
4. Department of Respiratory Diseases, The Affiliated Jiangning hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
5. Department of Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
6. Anesthesiology Department, “AHEPA” University Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Medical School, Thessaloniki, Greece
7. Ear, Nose and Throat Department, "Saint Luke" Private Hospital, Panorama, Thessaloniki, Greece
8. Medical Clinic I, "Fuerth" Hospital, University of Erlangen, Fuerth, Germany
9. Thoracic Surgery Department, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
# contributed equally to this work.
Sapalidis K, Zarogoulidis P, Pavlidis E, Laskou S, Katsaounis A, Koulouris C, Giannakidis D, Mantalovas S, Huang H, Bai C, Wen Y, Wang L, Sardeli C, Amaniti A, Karapantzos I, Karapantzou C, Hohenforst-Schmidt W, Konstantinou F, Kesisoglou I, Benhassen N. Aerosol Immunotherapy with or without Cisplatin for metastatic lung cancer non-small cell lung cancer disease: In vivo Study. A more efficient combination. J Cancer 2018; 9(11):1973-1977. doi:10.7150/jca.24782. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v09p1973.htm
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death after prostate cancer for males and breast cancer for females. There are novel therapies in the past five years such as; tyrosine kinase inhibitors and most recently in the last two years immunotherapy. Immunotherapy is currently being investigated if it can be administered alone or in combination. Previously we have investigated whether immunotherapy compounds can be produced as aerosols, and in the current study we investigated the safety and efficiency independently of the programmed death-ligand 1. The aerosol administration of both cisplatin and nivolumab is possible. The combination of the two drugs has a synergistic effect and therefore should be considered an option. Time of administration for immunotherapy is also very important.
Keywords: lung cancer, aerosol, immunotherapy, NSCLC, nivolumab, ipilimumab, pembrolizumab, programmed death-ligand 1