J Cancer 2017; 8(15):2959-2965. doi:10.7150/jca.20532
Association between Periodontal disease and Prostate cancer: Results of a 12-year Longitudinal Cohort Study in South Korea
1. Department of Periodontology, Daejeon Dental Hospital, Wonkwang University College of Dentistry, Daejeon, South Korea;
2. Department of Periodontology, Ilsan Hospital, National Health Insurance Service, Goyang, South Korea;
3. Department of Health Insurance Research, Ilsan Hospital, National Health Insurance Service, Goyang, South Korea;
4. Department of Periodontology, Research Institute for Periodontal Regeneration, Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seoul, South Korea.
* Jae-Hong Lee and Helen Hye-In Kweon contributed equally to the writing of this work.
The incidence of prostate cancer (PC) accompanying periodontal disease (PD) is anticipated to increase due to population aging. The aim of this study was to determine the association between PD and PC using data in the National Health Insurance Service-Health Examinee Cohort (NHIS-HEC). A random stratified sample of 187,934 South Koreans was collected from the NHIS database from 2002 to 2013. We assessed the relationship between PD and PC while adjusting for potential confounding factors (sex, age, household income, insurance status, residence area, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, cerebral infarction, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, smoking status, alcohol intake, and regular exercise). The overall incidence of PC with PD among those aged 40 years and older was 0.28% (n = 531). In the multivariate Cox proportional-hazard regression analysis with adjustment for confounding factors, PD was associated with a 14% higher risk of PC (HR = 1.14, 95% CI = 1.01-1.31, P = 0.042). The findings of this study suggest that PD is significantly and positively associated with PC. Further studies are required to identify the mechanisms underlying the links between PD and PC.
Keywords: Cohort analysis, periodontal disease, periodontitis, prostate cancer.
Lee JH, Kweon HHI, Choi JK, Kim YT, Choi SH. Association between Periodontal disease and Prostate cancer: Results of a 12-year Longitudinal Cohort Study in South Korea. J Cancer 2017; 8(15):2959-2965. doi:10.7150/jca.20532. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v08p2959.htm