J Cancer 2016; 7(10):1226-1232. doi:10.7150/jca.15403
Reduced Expression of FADS1 Predicts Worse Prognosis in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer
1. Department of Thoracic Surgery, Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University, Qingdao 266000, P.R. China;
2. Department of First Chemotherapy, Affiliated Cancer Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, 71 Hedi Road, Nanning 530021, P. R. China;
3. State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510060, P. R. China;
4. State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China; Department of Pathology, Sun Yat-Sen University Cancer Center; Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine, Guangzhou 510060, P.R. China;
5. University of Illinois at Chicago, Biological Science, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA.
* These authors contributed equally to this paper.
Objective: Fatty acid desaturase 1 is a member of the fatty acid desaturase, which is related to a number of diseases. However, its role in cancers remains unclear. This study was to explore the clinical importance of FADS1 expression in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Materials and Methods: Immunochemistry was used to evaluate FADS1 expressions in 216 paraffin-embedded specimens. The expression of FADS1 was divided into high and low groups. The clinical and prognostic significance of FADS1 expression was analyzed statistically by Kaplan-Meier estimate and Cox regression model. Results: FADS1 overexpressed in normal bronchial mucosa compared with non-small-cell lung cancer. Reduced FADS1 expression was associated with tumor size (P=0.023) and histological grade (P<0.0001). Patients with lower expression of FADS1 had shorter overall survival and disease free survival (P=0.001 and P=0.002). Multivariate analysis showed FADS1 expression was an independent prognostic factor in NSCLC (P=0.011). Conclusion: Reduced expression of FADS1 suggests pessimistic prognosis for NSCLC patients. Further studies are warranted.
Keywords: non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC), Fatty acid desaturase 1 (FADS1), immunohistochemistry (IHC).
Wang D, Lin Y, Gao B, Yan S, Wu H, Li Y, Wu Q, Wei Y. Reduced Expression of FADS1 Predicts Worse Prognosis in Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. J Cancer 2016; 7(10):1226-1232. doi:10.7150/jca.15403. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v07p1226.htm