J Cancer 2015; 6(12):1230-1235. doi:10.7150/jca.12546
MicroRNA-222 Controls Human Pancreatic Cancer Cell Line Capan-2 Proliferation by P57 Targeting
1. Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Digestive Disease Institute, Shanghai Tongji Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200065, China.
2. Department of Gastroenterology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China.
3. Department of Gastroenterology, No. 411 Hospital of PLA, Shanghai 200434, China.
4. Division of Gastroenterology, Zhejiang Hospital, Hangzhou 310000, China.
* These authors contributed equally to this work.
Pancreatic cancer (PC) is one of the most common cancers and has a poor prognosis due to late diagnosis and ineffective therapeutic multimodality. MicroRNAs (miRNAs, miRs) are a group of non-coding, small RNAs with active biological activities. In our investigation, human pancreatic cancer cell line Capan-2 were transfected with miR-222 mimics, inhibitors or their negative controls. Cell proliferation was assessed by Cell Counting Kit-8 (CCK-8), EdU incorporation assay and cell cycle determination by flow cytometry. MiR-222 and putative target gene expression levels including p27, p57 and PTEN were determined using quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reactions and Western blotting. Our results showed that miR-222 could lead to increased vitality and proliferative rate of Capan-2 cells, and also higher S-phase and lower G1-phase of cell cycle. Further, we found p57 at protein level, but not p27 nor PTEN, was regulated by miR-222 in Capan-2 cells. Finally, we co-transfected miR-222 inhibitor and p57 si-RNA into Capan-2 cells, and found that proliferation-suppressing effects of miR-222 inhibitor on Capan-2 cells could be partially reversed by silencing p57. Our results indicate that miR-222 controls Capan-2 cell proliferation by targeting p57. This study provides a novel idea for developing effective therapeutic strategy for PC patients through inhibiting miR-222.
Keywords: MicroRNA, MiR-222, Pancreatic cancer, Capan-2, Proliferation, P57.
Zhao Y, Wang Y, Yang Y, Liu J, Song Y, Cao Y, Chen X, Yang W, Wang F, Gao J, Li Z, Yang C. MicroRNA-222 Controls Human Pancreatic Cancer Cell Line Capan-2 Proliferation by P57 Targeting. J Cancer 2015; 6(12):1230-1235. doi:10.7150/jca.12546. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v06p1230.htm