J Cancer 2014; 5(8):625-627. doi:10.7150/jca.9730
Phosphodiesterase (PDE)-4 Inhibitors and COPD Correlation with Cancer
1. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, ``G. Papanikolaou`` General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
2. Department of Respiratory Diseases Shanghai Hospital, II Military University Hospital, Shanghai, China
3. Oncology Department, ``Sotiria`` Hospital of Chest Diseases, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
4. Internal Medicine Department, ``Thegeneio`` Cancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
5. II Medical Department, ``Coburg`` Regional Clinic, University of Wuerzburg, Coburg, Germany
6. Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Division of Pneumonology, Medical School, National University of Athens, Athens, Greece
7. Ruhrlandklinik, West German Cancer Center, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
8. Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
9. Internal Medicine Department, ``Theagenio`` Anti-Cancer Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece.
A new drug for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease has been recently added as a treatment for certain patients. However, new evidences indicate that there might be a connection with lung cancer. It is known that smoking is a major factor that induces chronic pulmonary disease and smoking is associated with lung cancer. The level of connection between phosphodiesterase (PDE)-4 inhibitors and lung cancer will be discussed based on current studies. A comment will be made whether lung cancer is induced to patients receiving phosphodiesterase (PDE)-4 inhibitors from the drug or former smoking habit.
Keywords: COPD, phosphodiesterase, inflammation, cancer.
Organtzis J, Lampaki S, Zarogoulidis P, Huang H, Li Q, Papaiwannou A, Syrigos K, Porpodis K, Tsiouda T, Hohenforst-Schmidt W, Trakada G, Walter RFH, Makrantonaki D, Pitsiou G, Kioumis I, Zarogoulidis K. Phosphodiesterase (PDE)-4 Inhibitors and COPD Correlation with Cancer. J Cancer 2014; 5(8):625-627. doi:10.7150/jca.9730. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v05p0625.htm