J Cancer 2013; 4(7):573-576. doi:10.7150/jca.6730
Antineoplasic Effect of Aqueous Extract of Plectranthus Amboinicus in Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma
1. Department of Oncology, School of Medicine,University of Pernambuco (UPE);
2. Department of Surgery, Holy House of Mercy Hospital, São Paulo;
3. Department of Antibiotics, Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE);
4. Brazilian Center for Physics Research (CBPF);
5. Department of Surgery and Liver Transplantation, School of Medicine, University of Pernambuco (UPE).
There are 46,000 new cases of peritoneal carcinomatosis per year in the USA and 17,700 in Brazil. New media, including plant derivatives, are being tested in its treatment. Plectranthus amboinicus is a medicinal plant widely used in Brazil, especially in the northeast region, for the treatment of various diseases, including cancer. This present study evaluates the intraperitoneal use of aqueous extracts of Plectranthus amboinicus (AEPa) at a dose of 200 mg / kg for the treatment of the ascitic form of Ehrlich carcinoma. It is concluded also the AEPa produced antineoplastic effect in ascitic form of Ehrlich carcinoma.
Keywords: Peritoneal carcinomatosis, Plectranthus amboinicus (Pa), Ehrlich ascites carcinoma (EAC), Aqueous extract of Plectranthus amboinicus (AEPa).
Brandao EM, Brandão PHDM, Souza IA, Paiva GS, de C. Carvalho M, Lacerda CM. Antineoplasic Effect of Aqueous Extract of Plectranthus Amboinicus in Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma. J Cancer 2013; 4(7):573-576. doi:10.7150/jca.6730. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v04p0573.htm