J Cancer 2013; 4(3):210-216. doi:10.7150/jca.5839
Serum-Based DNA Methylation Biomarkers in Colorectal Cancer: Potential for Screening and Early Detection
1. Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, USA.
2. Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA.
3. Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Petah Tiqva, Israel.
4. United States Military Cancer Institute, Washington, DC, USA.
5. International Consortium of Research Excellence (INCORE) of the Theodor-Billroth-Academy®, Munich, Germany
6. California Oncology Research Institute, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
7. John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
8. Clinic of Abdominal, Endocrine, and Transplantation Surgery, Clinical Center of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia.
9. University of Novi Sad - Medical Faculty, Novi Sad, Serbia.
10. Sylvia Lawry Center for MS Research, Munich, Germany.
11. Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA.
12. Bon Secours Cancer Institute, Richmond, VA, USA.
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the third most common cause of cancer-related death in the United States. Early identification and treatment of pre-cancerous colorectal lesions, or node-negative CRC are highly effective interventions that substantially reduce disease-specific mortality. Colonoscopy remains a highly effective primary screening tool based on its excellent diagnostic accuracy, and its ability to remove pre-cancerous lesions. However, the nature of the procedure limits compliance with colonoscopy intended for population-based CRC screening. A significant advance in the screening and care of these patients could be realized by blood-based biomarkers, which could accurately identify patients at-risk for CRC development whom might benefit from early and/or more frequent surveillance for disease. We reviewed and herein discuss the potential for serum based DNA methylation biomarkers for screening and early detection of CRC.
Keywords: Colorectal cancer, Biomarker: Early detection, Screening, Serum, DNA methylation.
Summers T, Langan RC, Nissan A, Brücher BL, Bilchik AJ, Protic M, Daumer M, Avital I, Stojadinovic A. Serum-Based DNA Methylation Biomarkers in Colorectal Cancer: Potential for Screening and Early Detection. J Cancer 2013; 4(3):210-216. doi:10.7150/jca.5839. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v04p0210.htm