J Cancer 2010; 1:197-208. doi:10.7150/jca.1.197
Ets Family Protein, Erg Expression in Developing and Adult Mouse Tissues by a Highly Specific Monoclonal Antibody
1. Center For Prostate Disease Research, Department of Surgery, United States Military Cancer Institute, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda MD 20814, USA
2. Cancer Vaccine Development Laboratory, Department of Surgery, United States Military Cancer Institute, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda MD 20814, USA
3. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
4. Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
5. Department of Genitourinary Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA.
Oncogenic activation of the ETS Related Gene (ERG) in humans was originally identified in subsets of Ewing sarcomas, myeloid leukemias and, recently, in the majority of prostate cancers. Expression of human ERG protein and consequently its functions in normal and disease states needs to be better understood in light of its suggested role in cell differentiation and proliferation. Here, we analyzed temporal and spatial expression of the Erg (mouse protein) by immunohistochemical analysis during mouse embryonic and adult organogenesis using a highly specific ERG monoclonal antibody (ERG MAb). This study establishes widespread immunolocalization of Erg protein in endothelial cells and restricted expression in precartilage and hematopoietic tissues. Intriguingly, Erg is not expressed in any epithelial tissue including prostate epithelium, or in infiltrating lymphocytes that are occasionally seen in the prostate environment, a common site of tumors with ERG rearrangements and unscheduled ERG expression. These findings will further aid in investigations of Erg functions in normal and disease conditions.
Keywords: Ets Related Gene, ERG, Expression, ERG MAb, Mouse, Development.
Mohamed AA, Tan SH, Mikhalkevich N, Ponniah S, Vasioukhin V, Bieberich CJ, Sesterhenn IA, Dobi A, Srivastava S, Sreenath TL. Ets Family Protein, Erg Expression in Developing and Adult Mouse Tissues by a Highly Specific Monoclonal Antibody. J Cancer 2010; 1:197-208. doi:10.7150/jca.1.197. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v01p0197.htm