J Cancer 2013; 4(2):146-151. doi:10.7150/jca.5419
Multi-Parametric MRI-Directed Focal Salvage Permanent Interstitial Brachytherapy for Locally Recurrent Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate: A Novel Approach
1. Bon Secours Cancer Institute, Bon Secours Health Care System, Richmond VA, USA.
2. Division of Radiation Oncology, Bon Secours Health Care System, Richmond VA, USA.
3. Division of Surgical Oncology, Bon Secours Health Care System, Richmond VA, USA.
4. Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, USA.
5. Theodor-Billroth-Academy®, Josephsburgstrasse 6, 81673 Munich, Germany.
6. Virginia Urology, Richmond VA, USA.
7. Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond VA, USA.
Even with the technological advances of dose-escalated IMRT with the addition of the latest image guidance technologies, local failures still occur. The combination of MRI-based imaging techniques can yield quantitative information that reflects on the biological properties of prostatic tissues. These techniques provide unique information that can be used for tumor detection in the treated gland. With the advent of these improved imaging modalities, it has become possible to more effectively image local recurrences within the prostate gland. With better imaging, these focal recurrences can be differentially targeted with salvage brachytherapy minimizing rectal and bladder toxicity. Here we report a novel use of MRI-directed focal brachytherapy after local recurrence. This technique offers a unique opportunity to safely and successfully treat recurrent prostate cancer, previously treated with definitive radiation therapy. The use of multi-parametric MRI-directed focal salvage permanent interstitial brachytherapy for locally recurrent adenocarcinoma of the prostate is a promising strategy to avoid more aggressive and expensive treatments that are associated with increased morbidity, potentially improving survival at potentially lower costs.
Keywords: Prostate cancer, Salvage therapy, Brachytherapy Multi-parametric MRI.
Wallace T, Avital I, Stojadinovic A, Brucher B, Coté E, Yu J. Multi-Parametric MRI-Directed Focal Salvage Permanent Interstitial Brachytherapy for Locally Recurrent Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate: A Novel Approach. J Cancer 2013; 4(2):146-151. doi:10.7150/jca.5419. Available from http://www.jcancer.org/v04p0146.htm